Business Turnaround Management Graduate Certificate
The College of Business Administration at the University of Detroit Mercy offers a graduate certificate program in Business Turnaround Management. This professional certificate is based on the concept that saving a struggling firm requires specialized management techniques that differ somewhat from the traditional tools developed in MBA programs that focus on growing healthy organizations.
- Convenient Class Scheduling - The College of Business Administration has committed to providing Business Turnaround Management Certificate courses online to any student who enters the program.
- Unique identity - Rooted in the Jesuit and Mercy traditions, the College champions academic excellence and good character by encouraging intellectual, spiritual, ethical and social growth.
- Full-Time and Part-Time Student Status - An student may apply for a Certificate Program on a part-time basis. Full-time student status usually involves nine or more credit hour courses in Terms I and II. Part-time students usually have a one to eight credit hour course load in Terms I and II.
- Flexibility: MBA with Concentration or Certificate - MBA students may use their three MBA electives to concentrate in Business Turnaround Management. In order to receive the Certificate in Business Turnaround Management (BTM), two additional BTM elective courses are required beyond the MBA degree requirements, totaling five courses.
Admission decisions are based on an undergraduate GPA, GMAT score (if needed), work experience, and other degrees.
- A University of Detroit Mercy Graduate Application Form, with the application fee (waived for online applications);
- Official transcripts for all previous academic work;
- A resume;
- A letter of recommendation; and
- Any other information which the applicant feels is important to the admission decision.
Guest Student Status
Individuals currently enrolled in another AACSB accredited MBA program may obtain Guest Student Status at the University of Detroit Mercy for a limited number of courses by providing a statement of good standing from their school's Dean or program director, or by applying for guest student status using a Michigan Intercollegiate Graduate School form (MIGS). The MIGS application can be obtained in the Graduate Business Programs Office.
International students should consult with the International Services Office.
Requirements & Curriculum
The Certificate in Business Turnaround Management is a 15 credit hour program.
While an individual may be admitted into the Certificate Program on a regular-acceptance basis, it is possible that the individual's eventual cumulative GPA may fall below a 3.0 in any particular term. When this situation occurs, the student automatically is placed on "Academic Probation". This status dictates that the student's cumulative GPA must continue to improve in each consecutive term thereafter until the cumulative GPA reaches 3.0 and is then sustained at that level or higher. If, after being placed on Academic Probation, the student's cumulative GPA does not improve in each subsequent term, the student will be academically dismissed.
Residence and Time Requirements
Students who have not completed their required Certificate Program within two years may be subject to re-evaluation and additional coursework. Students not enrolled for more than two consecutive terms (without prior approval of the program director) may be required to re-apply for admission.
Students in the College of Business Administration are responsible and accountable for knowledge of the requirements and procedures set forth by the College and University. This includes the Student Academic Integrity policy available on our website. Administrators, advisors, and faculty are available to assist students by explaining the various requirements and procedures for each program. However, the ultimate responsibility for compliance rests with the student.
Cumulative Grade Point Average
Students in the Certificate Program are required to achieve and maintain a cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 or better (on a 4.0 scale). A 3.0 cumulative GPA is required for final completion of the program requirements.
- BTM 5000 Business Turnaround Management
- BTM 5500 Ethical and Critical Thinking
- MBA 5210 Personal Development, Ethics, and Social Responsibility in Organizations
Elective Courses (3 courses needed)
- BTM 5150 Strategic and Legal Bankruptcy
- BTM 5200 Motivation and Negotiations Management
- BTM 5300 Global Business Transformation Management
- BTM 5350 Organizational Change Management
- BTM 5400 Accounting During Cash Crisis
- BTM 5420 Corporate Fraud Detection and Prevention
- BTM 5450 Corporate Restructuring for Business Turnaround
- BTM 5550 Lean Management
- BTM 5650 Supply Change Management for Turnarounds
- BTM 5850 Debt, Equity, Financing Structuring
Gainful Employment Disclosure
A degree in Business Administration helps connect you with a dynamic group of business leaders, community partners and fellow students. Here you can delve deeper and learn more about us.
The application process may differ based on what type of incoming student you are. Please visit our admission page to learn more and apply online.
For more information about our Graduate Business Programs, including our MBA, MBA/MHSA and JD-MBA programs, please send your inquiries to:
Dr. Omid Sabbaghi
Director of Graduate Business Programs
Coordinator of Student Services
You can also call Admissions during hours at 800-635-5020 or e-mail us and we'll get right back to you: firstname.lastname@example.org.
You can also request information online.